Saturday, March 23, 2019

Anne of Green Gables #1 - Review


What a delightful read. I had watched the movies, but had skipped the books.  I will definitely come back to this book just to enjoy the ride of reading through the sentences and getting my eyes refreshed to appreciate nature, and beauty and life with al that comes with it. I can’t wait to get to the second one in the series and to read it with my daughter.




I think this is a great character-building story in so, so many ways. One I’d like to highlight is the great illustration of “Beauty being on the eye of the beholder”. We all need a little more “Scope for imagination” to color our everyday realities and grow in contentment and gratefulness. I think this book is a good place to stir some of that scope. I totally recommend it for women of all ages. These are a couple of my favorites lines I wish not to forget:

 “Wouldn’t you just love to be rich, girls?”…”We are rich,” said Anne staunchly. “Why, we have 16 years to our credit, and we are happy as queens, and we’ve all got imaginations, more or less.  Look at the sea, girls -all silver and shadow and vision of things not seen.  We couldn’t enjoy its loveliness any more if we had millions of dollars and ropes and diamonds…”Well, I don’t want to be anyone but myself, even if I go uncomforted by diamonds all my life,” declared Anne.  “I’m quite content to be Anne of Green Gables, with my string of pearl beads.  I know Matthew gave me as much love with them as ever went with Madame the Pink Lady’s jewels.”

“Ever since I came to Green Gables, I’ve been making mistakes, and each mistake has helped to cure me of some great shortcoming.  The affair of the amethyst brooch cured me of meddling with things that didn’t belong to me.  The haunted wood mistake cured me of letting my imagination run away with me.  The liniment cake mistake cured me of carelessness in cooking.  Dyeing my hair cured me of vanity..and today’s mistake is going to cure me of being too romantic.”


No comments:

Post a Comment